Friday, January 2, 2009

My First



It is amazing how much my children get me thinking about life and who I am.  I was observing my youngest as he zoomed around the room in his 'first' super suit.  I was in awe at how deeply immersed he was in the joy of 'being' superman.  So I began to sketch the image above, and as I did so I came to the answer of a question I am frequently asked, which is 'what motivates you?'.  I realized that the reason I enjoy and continue to work hard is that 'first moment' experience I go through time and time again.  As a creative artist we rarely face the same repetitive challenge that so many jobs plague individuals with.  Each new project means a new challenge and some amount of stepping into the unknown.  We get to role play new situations, and become characters in our own stories.

Then there is the 'superman' feeling we get from facing new situations or challenges and coming out unscathed the other-side ... for our kids, everything is new, and life seems to bring them so much joy.  Maybe there is a lesson to be learnt, and we should ourselves be striving to bring new experiences into our own?

Peace.

No comments: